Wednesday 14 March 2018

Second Week Finished - On to Week Three! #ChaBooCha


We've finally finished two weeks into the challenge and are almost half-way to our goal date! Whether or not you are half-way to your writing goal doesn't matter; what matters is that you are closer to your word count goal than you were when you began the challenge.

The half-way mark can be difficult for many writers. Motivation can begin to wane, and the writing doesn't always flow as smoothly as it does in the beginning of a writing project. If you find this happening to you, try reading through what you have written so far. Is the story heading in a direction that is exciting to you? If you are getting bored with it, the chances are that your readers will get bored with it too. Are there any changes you can make to what you've already written to steer your writing into a direction that still inspires your muse?

Another thing you can try doing is think up different endings for your story. You probably already have one planned, unless you like to let the story dictate itself as you write, in which case coming up with different endings can sometimes inspire new directions for your story.

Something that always helps me when I start to struggle with a story is talking about it with someone else. Usually, for me, this is my husband. We go for walks and discuss my story. I will complain about having trouble with some aspect of it. My husband will then shoot a bunch of ideas my way to resolve the conflict, and I will then reject all of his ideas. But the thinking process involved in all of the discussion will prompt me to think up an idea of my own. There is something about talking about your story out loud that can help your mind process ideas and function more clearly when it comes to writing.

For more ideas on getting through the middle of your story, check out these previous challenge posts:




Happy writing!

***** 

Give-away


Today's give-away is a copy of 

365 Days of Writing: Inspirational Quotes for the Writer (365 Days of Happiness) 

by MG Keefe. If you are a signed-up member of the Chapter Book Challenge, all you have to do to enter is comment on this post. Winner will be selected by a random number generator at noon GMT on March 31st and announced within a day of the drawing.

14 comments:

  1. I have one chapter left to finish! Talking about my story and characters helps me too. My children are my biggest supporters, their enthusiasm is very motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having a wonderful time working on my book. Characters and plot are developing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, things are going well. No blocks or boredom yet. The end is in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on working evey day!! Getting closer and closer to my middle! Thank you for sharing links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been putting off my CB for some NF research. But.. this all may end up a CB or MG non-fiction piece so perhaps it is good after all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plugging away at it. Getting closer and closer to the end every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Setting aside my draft for a few days helped me see some GLARING mistakes on my read through this weekend. WOW, it's amazing what basic things I had missed. Keep calm and carry on, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so helpful to be reminded of the importance of the middle of the story. Since that can be a time of plot stagnation, it's all the more important to keep the action moving. Many thanks for sharing that helpful reminder and for offering motivational wisdom about moving beyond the middle of this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These posts are always great. I am not half way through my story, but I am writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually finished one chapter book. Starting on the next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a public holiday in the middle of week 2, so I finally got started :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was plodding along consistently through the middle of the month. I wouldn't let my health get in the way, and when I wasn't writing I was discussing the series, and researching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These posts linking to other posts are a great idea. Very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete