Saturday 9 March 2019

Brainstorming Chapter Book Ideas by Melissa Stoller #ChaBooCha

Image by mohamed_hassan on Pixabay

BRAINSTORMING CHAPTER BOOK IDEAS

It’s March and that means it’s time for the annual Chapter Book Challenge. I’m so glad to be posting again this year. You can read some of my previous posts for ChaBookCha and ChaBooChaLite here – including “Working Your Way Through ChapterBook Challenge 2017," “How to Start Writing Your Chapter Book,” and “How to Write a Chapter Book Series.” 

This year, I’m writing about generating ideas for a chapter book project.

BRAINSTORMING IDEAS:

1) Think about characters – Quite often, readers will gravitate toward a chapter book because they can relate in some way to the main character. When trying to harness chapter book ideas, ask yourself some questions about a potential MC. Perhaps jot down character traits and see where that leads you. For example, do you envision a lovable character? Someone with quirks and imperfections that children can identify with? Maybe a character who struggles, is funny, or silly, or who is trying to find his or her place in the world. In my chapter book series, THE ENCHANTED SNOW GLOBE COLLECTION (illustrated by Callie Metler-Smith, Clear Fork Publishing), the main characters are nine-year old adventurous twins who are interested in finding out more about their ancestors and making a difference. I chose boy and girl twins so that, hopefully, the story would have broad appeal. The main characters, Emma and Simon, have different personality traits, and I hope that readers will identify with them both.

2) Think about settings – Aside from memorable main characters, chapter books usually feature memorable backdrops. To help gather ideas, do some research and write down a list of potential settings. Some typical settings for the chapter book age range are: home, school, camp, a magical/fantastical location, a big city, a country locale, or a historical setting. Maybe the main character loves horses and the setting is a horse barn. Or maybe the MC is an animal living in a forest, in a setting with other forest animals. RETURN TO CONEY ISLAND, the first book in my time-travel chapter book series, features an amusement park in Coney Island in 1928. My second book, THE LIBERTY BELL TRAIN RIDE, features the Liberty Bell and the World’s Fair, in 1915 Philadelphia and San Francisco. And my third book in the series features Washington, DC and the Library of Congress. When I was planning the book series, I researched cities and historical attractions, and mapped out the settings to help create an interesting adventure arc. I am planning on two more American cities, and then hopefully the twins will get out their passports for more far-flung adventures. And maybe I’ll go along too for research purposes!

3) Think about situations – You can generate ideas by asking “what if” questions about the situation the characters might be involved in. Is it the first day of school, and then the whole school year can be written about in various chapters? Is the protagonist starting summer camp, and then you have the summer to tell your tale? Is the main character a mermaid living in her own undersea world, with lots of adventures awaiting? Or maybe the MC is a penguin living in Antarctica, who has his family and friends and a whole story waiting for you to explore. The situation in which you place your MC can definitely jump-start your brainstorming.

4) Think about underlying themes – It may be helpful to list out the themes for your book in a pitch or “book mission statement” as that may provide some idea inspiration. My chapter books include themes of family connection with ancestors, understanding history, and using courage to both make things happen and make good choices. I hope that children and adults will enjoy these themes and that the books spark discussion and connection between generations. As you brainstorm about themes, maybe one will spark a potential plot.

5) Think about a story that has series potential – Not all chapter books turn into a series, but it doesn’t hurt to keep this in the back of your mind as you gather your ideas and plan out your book. If you hit on a great idea that has series potential, keep planning and organizing your chapters to capitalize on the possibility that your characters can move into different adventures in an expanding series.

Good luck gathering ideas for your chapter book! I look forward to reading your stories!

*****

Melissa Stoller is the author of the chapter book series The Enchanted Snow Globe Collection - Book One: Return to Coney Island and Book Two:The Liberty Bell Train Ride (Clear Fork Publishing, 2017 and 2019); and the picture books Scarlet’s Magic Paintbrush and Ready, Set, GOrilla! (Clear Fork, 2018). Upcoming releases include Return of the Magic Paintbrush and Sadie’s Shabbat Stories (Clear Fork, 2019). She is also the co-author of The Parent-Child Book Club: Connecting With Your Kids Through Reading (HorizonLine Publishing, 2009). Melissa is a Regional Ambassador for The Chapter Book Challenge, an Assistant and Blogger for the Children’s Book Academy, a Moderator for The Debut Picture Book Study Group, and a volunteer with the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators/MetroNY. Melissa has worked as a lawyer, legal writing instructor, freelance writer and editor, and early childhood educator. Additionally, she is a member of the Board of Trustees at The Hewitt School and at Temple Shaaray Tefila. Melissa lives in New York City with her husband, three daughters, and one puppy. 
 
CONNECT:  
 
www.MelissaStoller.com
http://www.facebook.com/MelissaStoller
http://www.twitter.com/melissastoller
http://www.instagram.com/Melissa_Stoller
http://www.pinterest.com/melissa_Stoller

 ***** 

Give-away



Melissa Stoller has generously offered a signed copy of THE ENCHANTED SNOW GLOBE COLLECTION: RETURN TO CONEY ISLAND and some book swag to one lucky person! All you need to do to be entered into the drawing for this prize if you are already a singed-up member of the challenge is to comment on this blog post. Winner will be chosen by a random number generator on March 31st and announced at noon GMT the same day.

41 comments:

  1. Melissa,you have some marvelous tips here! Printing this out as a reminder of things as I undertake my first chap book course :) (Now I'm the coolest kids in class, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are enjoying your first ChaBooCha! Glad my post is helpful! Happy writing!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Melissa, for sharing your brainstorming ideas. You gave some great ideas that will easily fit into my manuscript set-up notebook for each project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy - thanks so much — I’m so glad the post was useful to you as you work your way through ChaBooCha! And I like your idea of a set up notebook for each project. That sounds like a blog post in the making!

      Delete
  3. Great tips, Melissa! Thank you for sharing these. I plan on making out a list of themes today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice - thanks for commenting! I look forward to hearing all about the themes for your latest project! Happy creating!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas, thank you! I'm determined to get my first-first draft of a chapter book done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - good luck working on your first first draft! I hope it’s all going well for you!

      Delete
  5. Another great post, Melissa! These are all great tips, and gives me a lot to think about as I draft new stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra - thanks so much! I’m really glad the post was helpful to you. I can’t wait to see what you’re working on this month! Xox

      Delete
  6. Great post, I love to go and take photos that helps me get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley - I love taking photos too! I find that it opens up another creative avenue that can lead anywhere. Good luck with your projects this month!

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Melissa. Great brainstorming ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona - thank so much for stopping by. I’m so glad that you enjoyed these brainstorming ideas. Happy creativity this month!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Melissa! I always love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words. Happy writing this month!

      Delete
  9. These are great tips. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley - I’m so glad these tips were helpful to you! Happy writing during chapter book challenge month!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi Debbie - right back at you! Your post about ideas was terrific! Happy writing!

      Delete
  11. Thanks Melissa, I wasn't sure where to start so this is helpful beyond helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy - I’m so happy that this was helpful in giving you a jump start to your ideas! Happy creating. Look forward to seeing where your ideas take you!

      Delete
  12. Hi, Melissa! My current ms is based in Washington, DC too and I'm asking a lot of “what ifs.” Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manju - oooh we have to talk about our DC stories! I love the “what if” questions! Happy writing!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for all the wonderful tips, Melissa! You've given me tons to think about as I embark on my first chapter book journey. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rene - I’m so glad to hear that! Good luck with your first chapter book! Keep us posted!

      Delete
  14. I'm working on Book One of a chapter book series for this month's challenge so I will certainly keep your ideas in mind as I write.

    Great post!

    Donna L Martin
    Story Catcher Publishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna - good luck with book one! I’m so glad this post was helpful to you! Happy creating!

      Delete
  15. Hi Melissa! Thank you for such a wealth of information! Will keep it on file for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tips, Melissa! I can't wait for your Library of Congress setting!

    ReplyDelete